I work at KACST as an engineer and scientist to solve problems that result in long-term economic growth and higher productivities. My primary technical field is designing and building electronic devices using cutting-edge materials such as Aluminum Gallium Nitride (AlGaN). AlGaN band gap can be tailored across the visible to UV electromagnetic range. Ultraviolet LEDs which can be used for rapid disinfection and visible LEDs provide high-quality light at low cost.
I worked on developing a new substrate platform for UV LEDs. My work has led to the first development of 275 nm AlGaN LEDs on SiC which is a new technology platform for thin-film UV LEDs. Also, I worked on the development of lift-off methods of visible thin-film LEDs using photo-electrochemical etching (PEC). My other field on interest includes emerging technologies in electric cars, artificial intelligence, private equity investments, and fintech.
-  Burhan SaifAddin, Christian J. Zollner, Abdullah Almogbel, Humberto Foronda, Abdulrahman Albadri, Ahmed Al Yamani, Michael Iza, Feng Wu, Shuji Nakamura, Steven P. DenBaars, James S. Speck, “Developments in AlGaN and UV-C LEDs grown on SiC (Late News),” SPIE Photonics West. San Francisco. CA., (31 January 2018).
-  Burhan SaifAddin, Humberto Foronda, Abdullah Almogbel, Chris Zollner, M.E.A. Samsudin, Michael Iza, Shuji Nakamura, Steven P. DenBaars, James S. Speck. " First demonstration of lateral thin-film flip-chip ultraviolet light emitting diodes grown on SiC (Late News)," 12th International Conference on Nitride Semiconductors (ICNS 12) .Strasbourg, France, 2017.
-  B. SaifAddin, H. Foronda, Michael Iza, S. Nakamura, S. P. DenBaars, and J. S. Speck, “Epi-Transfer Technology for High EQE UV LEDs Grown on SiC (Late News),” MRS Int. Work. Nitride Semicond. (IWN 2016). Orlando, Fl., 2016.
-  Burhan Saifaddin, Benjamin Yonkee, S. Nakamura, S. DenBaars, R. F. Tal Margalith Michael Cantore, S. H. Oh, and James Speck, “Nanostructure Patterning of AlN Surface and Removal of SiC Substrates for High Extraction Efficiency Thin Film UV LEDs,” in 42nd International Symposium on Compound Semiconductors. Santa Barbara, CA., 2015.
-  Burhan SaifAddin1*, Christian J. Zollner1, Abdullah Almogbel1, Humberto Foronda1, Abdulrahman Albadri3, Ahmed Al Yamani3, Michael Iza1, Feng Wu1, Shuji Nakamura1,2, Steven P. DenBaars1,2, James S. Speck, “Developments in AlGaN and UV-C LEDs grown on SiC (Late News),” , Proc. SPIE 9748, Gallium Nitride Materials and Devices XI, 97481B (February, 2018).
-  E. C. Young, B. P. Yonkee, F. Wu, B. K. Saifaddin, D. A. Cohen, S. P. DenBaars, S. Nakamura, and J. S. Speck, “Ultraviolet light emitting diodes by ammonia molecular beam epitaxy on metamorphic () AlGaN/GaN buffer layers,” J. Cryst. Growth, vol. 425, pp. 389–392, 2015.
-  B. P. Yonkee, B. SaifAddin, J. T. Leonard, S. P. DenBaars, and S. Nakamura, “Flip-chip blue LEDs grown on bulk GaN substrates utilizing photoelectrochemical etching for substrate removal,” Appl. Phys. Express, vol. 9, no. 5, p. 56502, 2016.
-  A. I. Alhassan, R. M. Farrell, B. Saifaddin, A. Mughal, F. Wu, S. P. DenBaars, S. Nakamura, and J. S. Speck, “High luminous efficacy green light-emitting diodes with AlGaN cap layer,” Opt. Express, vol. 24, no. 16, pp. 17868–17873, 2016.
-  D. Hwang, B. P. Yonkee, Burhan SaifAddin, R. M. Farrell, S. Nakamura, J. S. Speck, and S. DenBaars, “Photoelectrochemical liftoff of LEDs grown on freestanding c-plane GaN substrates,” Opt. Express, vol. 24, no. 20, pp. 22875–22880, 2016.