Abdullah Alatawi is a Ph.D student at Photonics Laboratory in the Division of Computer, Electrical and Mathematical Sciences & Engineering (CEMSE) at King Abdullah University of Science & Technology (KAUST). Alatawi is currently working on different lab projects and activities which involve enhancing photonic devices efficiency. He received his master of science in optical nanotechnology engineering from University of Kassel in Germany. The topic of his thesis covers the investigation and improvement of processing steps to fabricate hollow cylinder structures from a stack of dielectric layers that can later be infiltrated with organic laser active media to build a VCSEL devices. During his master of study he successfully accomplished various cleanroom training programs which cover following techniques: thin film deposition and profilometry, fabrication and characterization of Fabry Perot optical filter and thin film deposition and measurements.
He received his B.SC in Aerospace Engineering from King Fahad University of Petroleum and Minerals (KFUPM) and then he joined space institute at King Abdullaziz City for Science and Technology (KACST) in Riyadh. During his 12 years of experience at KACST, Alatawi has the ability to manage multi-disciplinary projects.
-  M. S. Alias, B. Janjua, C. Zhao, D. Priante, A. A. Alhamoud, M. Tangi, et al., "Enhancing the Light-Extraction Efficiency of AlGaN Nanowires Ultraviolet Light-Emitting Diode by using Nitride/Air Distributed Bragg Reflector Nanogratings," IEEE Photonics Journal, vol. PP, pp. 1-1, 2017.
-  M. S. Alias, Z. Liu, A. Al-atawi, T. K. Ng, T. Wu, and B. S. Ooi, "Continuous-wave optically pumped green perovskite vertical-cavity surface-emitter," Optics Letters, vol. 42, pp. 3618-3621, 2017/09/15 2017.
-  B. Janjua, T. Ng, C. Zhao, H. Oubei, C. Shen, A. Prabaswara, et al., "Ultrabroad linewidth orange-emitting nanowires LED for high CRI laser-based white lighting and gigahertz communications," Optics Express, vol. 24, pp. 19228-19236, AUG 22 2016 2016.
-  B. Janjua, T. Ng, C. Zhao, A. Prabaswara, G. Consiglio, D. Priante, et al., "True Yellow Light-Emitting Diodes as Phosphor for Tunable Color-Rendering Index Laser-Based White Light," Acs Photonics, vol. 3, pp. 2089-2095, NOV 2016 2016.
-  M. Taimoor, A. Alatawi, S. Reuter, H. Hillmer, and T. Kusserow, "Investigation of a Structuring Process for Surface Emitting Lasers (CoreSEL) with Distributed Cavities," presented at the ICMAT 2015.
-  M. Taimoor, A. Alatawi, S. Reuter, H. Hillmer, and T. Kusserow, "Single-step inductively coupled plasma etching of sputtered Nb2O5/SiO2 multilayer stacks using chromium etch mask," Journal of Vacuum Science & Technology a, vol. 35, JUL-AUG 2017 2017.
-  M. Taimoor, M. Lotzgeselle, S. Reuter, A. Alatawi, H. Hillmer, M. Maniak, et al., "Infiltration of hollow core vertical emitting laser devices with chirped layers," presented at the CINSaT Spring Colloquium, Friedrichroda, Germany, 2016.
-  M. Taimoor, S. Reuter, A. Alatawi, M. Lotzgeselle, H. Hillmer, M. Maniak, et al., "Infiltration Process of Colloidal Quantum Dots for a Surface Emitting Laser (CoreSEL)," presented at the CinsaT Herbstkolloqium, Kassel, Germany, 2016.